While we are on the topic of preventers, my understanding of the proper way to
rig one is as follows;

A big bowline around the boom, led up to a block as far forward as possible,
the back to a winch in the cockpit.

My confusion is about the purpose of a preventer:

1. is it to hold the boom out?  Then if you do gybe, you can just gybe back?

2. Or is it to allow a controlled gybe? Presumably the above set-up would allow
one to ease the boom out at least until it was centered

Mike
Atacama 33mkii
Toronto

greatly appreciated!