Rob,

You should be very glad that you had the preventer on.

I was at the C&C Owner's Regatta at NYC in 2001, on the Sunday a cold front
went through with gusts to 50kts (this was the same front that capsized the
trimaran during the Mac race).

The winds had died down some by race time so we decided to go out.

Another squall line went through the offshore course while we were racing
and a C&C 35 Mk3 broached, the boom hit one of the crew on the head as it
swung across, killing him.

The boom flying across during a crash jybe can do a lot of damage to the
crew or the boat.

Rick Taillieu

Nemesis

'75 C&C 25  #371