Hi James,

Yes, the larger prop is better but still not great at regen. I don't have
any data but I can hear the larger prop starting to regen at a lower speed
through the water than the original, smaller prop. Regen is generally
thought to be not that great on a boat my size (33 feet) unless it's moving
very fast through the water.

I'm no expert, but my take on LiFePo4 batteries is that the battery
management system is critical. It needs to know what's going on with every
cell. I had enough unknowns in my electric conversion, so I trundle along
with AGMs.

There are some compromises with electric auxiliary propulsion on a
sailboat. But after all, it is a sailboat.

I converted to electric mainly for reliability (not for "greenness").

Hope this helps, and I'm happy to answer (or give my opinion about) any
other question.

Bob Moriarty
Ox 33-1
Jax, FL

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 4:42 PM, James Nichols via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Bob,
>
> With your larger prop,  does it spin and generate power while you are
> sailing?
>
> My thoughts on batteries is that I plan on going lithium iron phosphate.
>
> Much higher capacity than lead acid, super fast recharge,  1/10th the
> weight and 1/4th the size for the same reserve rating. Just much more
> expensive.
>
> My charging system is in need of complete replacement anyways and I've
> just for one working battery right now,  so I thought I might as well go
> the route of lithium ion.
>
> I'm going through the calculations on my power needs right now and trying
> to figure out how many batteries and solar panels I need.
>
> It would be nice if the prop would add to the power generation also,  I've
> seen a system that does,  but it was crazy expensive.
>
> James
> S/V Kristy
> 1971 C&C 39

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!