Wow! Great job. Sounds like everyone involved went above and beyond on this
one.

This list is so cool...

Ken H.

On Sunday, 24 April 2016, Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:
> Apr 4 launch and motor to slip.
> Apr 8 run motor 1/2 hr and prep mast
> Apr 9 on mast stepping day motor will not start. Acts as though airlock
in fuel lines. Warp boat to spar crane to step mast and the post to Stu's
List for help.
> Apr 10 armed with suggestions from list and in particular Josh Meckley
head to the boat in 5 inches new snow to try to bleed fuel lines. By the
end of the day have installed squeeze bulb, bled low pressure lines several
times and have cracked open lines at injectors to bleed there. No fuel at
injectors.
> Have by now consulted with my mechanic Peter Drillio who has no opening
in his schedule and have been on phone with Josh. Both say it is highly
unlikely is injector pump
> Apr 13 have by now run decompressed motor cumulative 5 minutes with no
fuel at injectors. Discover evidence of fuel in crankcase confirmed by
mechanic
> Apr 14 install 12v inline fuel pump and bypass mechanical lift pump (new
mechanical pump on order). Spend two more days bleeding and trying to prime
injector pump with no success
> Apr 16. Conclude problem is at injector pump. It is not pumping any fuel.
My mechanic Peter tells me fuel rack is stuck. Injector pump has to come
out and should likely be serviced. To remove pump he tells me manifold must
come off as well as high pressure lines to injectors. Peter has no time
until June but instructs me on how to proceed. This is getting serious
> Apr 18. Josh had assured me that pump end of injector lines could be
moved aside rather than removed. The manifold is slid to stbd two inches, a
few injector line clips loosened and the pump is out. The rack is not stuck
but the governor lever it sits in is not moving freely. New manifold and
thermostat elbow gaskets are ordered and the injection pump is rebuilt (why
mot? Is 29 years old and is out anyway).
> Apr 19 Peter and I are looking thru injector port opening after he
declares the regulator arm does not seem to be moving properly. The
governor flyweight look odd.
> Apr 21 sea frost compressor, alternator, raw water pump and crank pulley
removed. Timing cover off front of motor revealing timing gears, crankshaft
and camshaft as well as regulator, governor and stop lever assemblies.
Regulator arm now functioning properly.  Governor flyweight assembly is
bent pushing governor lever and fuel rack to fuel off position (same as
pulling engine stop in cockpit). The retaining nut that holds governor
flyweight assembly in place had backed completely off over time causing
this problem. New governor weight assembly ordered (7 - 10 business days)
as well as timing gasket.
> Apr 23 a club member who has machine shop in basement, Phil Wash, has
repaired bent governor flyweight assembly. Mechanic Peter agrees that can
reassemble using repaired part, loctite on retaining nut and red gasket
material while waiting for parts to eventually arrive
> Apr 24 at 12:35 pm exactly two weeks to the minute after the motor
stopped working it fired up easily.

> Throughout this entire process Josh was offering assistance, insights and
encouragement. Without this we would have been out of commission and out of
thousands of dollars waiting til June for a mechanic to be available. This
is not a job that I had previously thought I was capable of doing.

> This is why we have and need this list. Thanks Josh! Thanks Stu!
>
> Note that in a few weeks I will have to tear down again to use the new
gaskets. Will likely not use new flyweight assembly since Phil did a great
job

> Mike
> Persistence
> 1987 Yanmar 3GM30F in
> 1987 Frees 33
> Halifax, NS

like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!