Just make sure all the halyards are tight.  I drop a bicycle chain on 80 lb
mono-filament.  When it hits bottom, jiggle it up and down a few times to
make sure it's moving freely before the deck person grabs it.  I pull
another messenger made of parachute cord up to then pull the cable down.
It sound like an extra step but it works.

You don't want any lumps in the pull.  If I'm pulling a duplex cable, I cut
the sheath and cut about a foot off one of the wires.  The parachute cord
is then whipped to the other wire with dental floss.  Wrap the joint with
electrical tape.  Overlapping the cord and one wire makes a smooth joint
which doesn't hang up on halyards.

If you're dropping a single wire, tie dental floss around the wire and the
messenger with a small gap.  This is one reason we switch to parachute cord
from the mono-filament.  Trying to tie dental floss to mono-filament has a
low rate of success.

The mast person and deck person have to work together.  The two of you need
to keep the pull tight.  That is, the mast person feeds as the deck person
pulls.  If you get slack in the cable or messenger, it might form a loop
and hang behind a halyard or another wire.

You might find a hemostat handy for pulling the messenger out of the bottom.

I violated nearly all of the above this time, I couldn't find my chain and
used a clevis pin then just tried to pull the cable down with the
monofilament.  My helper and I didn't keep the pull taut.  Being lazy and
paid the price.

My rigger buddy was busy and I had a dock neighbor help.  My rigger buddy
and I are a well oiled team with 100% success.  It really does make a
difference when you both know what the drill is.

Dennis C.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Chuck S via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
> Is there a trick to getting that new line or cable run down the mast
> without crossing hayards?   I used the bicycle chain method to fish a new
> genoa halyard but I later wondered if it was run fair and not tangled
> around another halyard.  Any tips would be apreciated.
>

> Chuck
> Resolute
> 1990 C&C 34R
> Broad Creek, Magothy River, Md