My only thought on running any helm mounted electronics is to avoid external
wiring at all costs.  When someone loses their balance walking around the helm
in a seaway or even at anchor, they will grab the first available "thing" to
keep from falling.  If the "thing" is a loose wire or is attached to a wire, it
is easy to dislodge the tiny internal wires from their connectors, rendering
the instrument inoperable.  And those connectors will have a better chance of
remaining corrosion free if they're enclosed in a housing.  Half Magic's new ES
75 is going in a pod on an enclosed arm attached to the pedestal guard. NMEA
2000 backbone being run bow to stern for future additional instruments, radar,
AIS and autopilot.

Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 LF 35