Steve,

Thanks.  Yeah my worry with regular gap filling foam was that it would absorb
water, get nasty, then quickly deteriorate.  I was wondering if there was
something new out there I hadn't heard of that was strong and water-resistant.
That said, you raise a very good point about unintentionally trapping water.
Fiberglass sounds like the way to go.

After speaking with Harry just now I am going to do what he did - buy a thick
fiberglass piece from McMaster Carr, rout out pieces to fit, and west system
epoxy them in place.

Thanks guys!

Ryan

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 8:31:05 -0400
> From: Steve Thomas <sthom...@bellnet.ca>
> To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
> Subject: Re: Stus-List 30mki cabin sole support
>
> I would be very reluctant to use any sort of spray or pour foam in a bilge.
> It is almost certain to saturate when it gets wet and cause problems down the
> road. Aside from that, they tend to not have all that much structural
> strength. Why not just use fiberglass? Another consideration would be that
> you don't want to create areas where water pools and can't drain out.
>
> Steve Thomas
> C&C27 MKIII
> C&C36 MKI
>

> ---- Ryan Doyle via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I've been dealing with some flexing parts of my cabin sole around the bilge
> access panel in my 1976 C&C 30.  I've put some wood shims between the cabin
> sole and the hull fiberglass down there and they help a bit, but don't fix
> the problem.
>
> Because of the odd shape of the space between the cabin sole and the hull
> fiberglass, I keep thinking there might be some sort of hardening foam I
> could inject down there, or some sort of flexible substance that then could
> harden to shore up the floor.
>
> Does such a thing exist?  Is that a terrible idea for any reason?  Anyone
> have any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ryan
>
> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!