Dennis,

Fred owns a Spot and can tell you about his experience.  For the 2014 A2B
the RC went with Spots to save money.  Several boats, including ours, found
them to be unreliable.  We had to remember to broadcast our postiion every
hour so people didn't think we were stationary. The auto update did not
work.  This year we are using YellowBricks. Fred's worked great for sending
short texts.

I think the inReach now has weather capabilities.  I'd look at it too.

Joel

--
Joel
301 541 8551