  From: Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Cc: Marek Dziedzic
  Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 11:04
  Subject: Re: Stus-List Salon Lighting

  Usually, LEDs are better in light efficiency (luminous efficacy) - CFLs run
around 50-60 lm/W, and LEDs at 80-120 lm/W. Obviously, they are directed light.
Some fixtures use diffusers to distribute the light more evenly.
  Additionally, depending on the application of course, the cooler light of the
LEDs can work better for lighting the area (with fewer lumens per unit of area).
  Unfortunately, some of the really cheap LED bulbs don’t have the voltage
regulation circuitry built in and they produce all kinds of unexpected (and
undesirable) results. This is a real problem on a boat, where we regularly have
voltage variations from around 11 V to 14+ V, depending on the source (battery
vs. the alternator).
  Obviously, switching from the fluorescent to LED won’t buy you that much (at
best halving of the power usage). Not to mention that the drop-in replacement
“bulbs” or “tubes” are much more difficult to find for the fluorescent
fixtures. The real benefit is in switching form incandescent to LEDs. I did
that and I replaced 20 W incandescent with 1.5 W LED light sources. Suddenly I
don’t care anymore if the light is on or not (I admit to leaving a cabin light
on for a couple of days (forgot to turn the main switch off) without any ill
effect on the battery (the solar panel managed to keep up with the light); not
something you could do with an incandescent bulb). I left the last remaining
fluorescent, as is; the replacement would be too complicated.
  One other thing that might count for you if you want to switch to LED – most
of them them come in white/red combination, quite useful when sailing at night.
  Marek
  C270 Legato
  Ottawa, ON