Speaking of MOB rescues, when I was in the Navy as an Officer of the Deck,
the captain would conduct unannounced MOB drills.  A couple of broomsticks
tied in an "X" with a couple of ratty old life jackets on them starred as
"Oscar", the MOB.  The captain would summon the Chief Bos'n Mate and have
him burst out of a locker on the bow and throw Oscar over the side.  A
seemingly overly alert bridge lookout would yell "Man overboard starboard
side" and we'd all have to react to rescue Oscar.

Getting the old girl, all 380+ feet and 3000 tons, turned and headed back
to Oscar was always a "delight".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Windham_County_(LST-1170)

Dennis C.

greatly appreciated!