Bob,

I had the same spreader problem (wear from a previous owner not tying off
the steel cable halyard).   In the end the best solution was to remake the
spreaders.      Bay sailing equipment, 986 cherry street, Fall River,
Frank:   508 678 4419  has the original C&C extrusion and did the work.
It is indistinguishable from the original.    I don't remember the cost.

David

greatly appreciated!