Well my broker informed me the GST was my responsibility. He did the registration paperwork but did not do the tax. He suggested that many never do end up paying the tax but I got the letter in the mail and had to submit a bill-of-sale to verify selling price along with the required tax. I can't recall the specifics of the letter but I think that they gave an amount that the tax would be based on if I didn't provide proof of the purchase price ... and that amount was, in my case, considerably higher than what I had actually paid.

-----Original Message----- From: Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2016 6:31 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Hoyt, Mike
Subject: Re: Stus-List Sales tax in Canada

A sale between private owners incurs tax in Nova Scotia and likely in the rest of Canada. The only difference between the private sale and using a broker is that the broker usually does this as part of the business procedures vs the private sale where the buyer is supposed to remit it (usually upon registration of the vessel). I know a large number of people who never paid tax on their boats. Rumor has it that some marinas are being visited by officials looking for boats that have not paid the sales tax ...

For me personally the last two boats were purchased in the US which required tax to be paid when the boat crossed the border (by land) or the tax invoice triggered by customs inspection (by sea)

Mike
Persistence
Halifax