Lorne,

It all depends....  What kind of sails are you carrying and how new they are.
Septima originally came with a North Dacron 130 and main, both racing quality,
and a full set of sail controls.  We quickly learned that with her beam and big
butt that 18 degrees heel was near optimal.

We also learned that keeping her on her feet was achievable with the sail
controls long before we had to reef the main.  With a good mechanical backstay
adjuster ( I have the original for sale ) and multipart Cunningham you could
flatten the main and take some sag out of the headstay.  Voila, back on her
feet.  We used to race in a shallow bay (6 - 8 feet MLLW ) where the local wind
picked up to 18 -20 kts in the early PM.  We never reefed, just used sail
controls.

Later I converted to an Ulmer Tape Drive 140.  Sail weighed half of the North
130 and did not stretch.  Weight aloft went way down and ability to carry sail
as wind increased went way up.  However, by then we were on the eastern portion
of LI Sound and the winds weren't so much.  Big Genoa was great for powering up
through the chop.  Main still didn't require a reef.

Lesson learned early on:  Genoa is for power, main is for steerage.  Septima's
wheel has a leather cover I put there.  Seams are placed such that rudder has 4
degrees incidence when seams are TDC  (easy to measure when on the hard).
Helm's job is to place appropriate seam TDC and communicate "feel" to main
trimmer ( on Septima, me using Harkin Windward Car setup. )  If helm starts to
load up, I drop the car an inch, if it lightens I raise car an inch, keeping
the mainsail trim untouched.  Boat is fast, wake is smooth and other, larger
boats wonder how you're going so fast.  The foils on our boats are symmetrical
versions of well tested low speed aircraft shapes and you want to keep the flow
attached.  The boat will "lift" to windward once you get the feel of her.

I now have a new UK 140 tape drive so we'll see how it does.  Haven't sailed it
yet, but it is the engine so I expect we'll easily get to hull speed.

My impressions:  30-2s are initially tender, then stiffen.  Keeping the rudder
in the water is good.  Oh, and surfing down wind is a lot of fun too.  We made
up for a lot of upwind mistakes by overtaking boats down wind.

Best of luck.

Allen Miles
S/V Septima
30-2