And those 30-1 measurements at
http://cncphotoalbum.com/technical/measurements.htm are for 30-1s with the boom
raised a foot from its original location on very early hull numbers.

I have hull #7 and I can tell from holes in the mast that a previous owner
raised the boom exactly 12". I've also measured my P dimension and it matches
what's on that measurement page (34'). So the P dimension of the early 30-1s
must have been 35'.

Personally I think it's a good modification. I was thinking about moving my
boom back to its original location when I buy a new mainsail, to get more sail
area. But I've changed my mind. I'm about 6'3" and so is most of my regular
crew, and we don't have to duck too much during tacks and gybes when standing
on the cockpit sole. The comfort and safety are worth the loss of ~11.5 square
feet of sail area, and there are other ways to gain speed (e.g. folding prop).

Besides, last night I hit 7.6 knots according to GPS (my track on raceqs.com)
in ~27mph gusts on beam / close reach under main and #2 genoa, and my main's E
dimension is a foot shorter than it's supposed to be (10.5 feet instead of 11.5
feet), and I have a fixed two-blade prop! With a ~25-foot waterline my
theoretical max hull speed is ~6.67 knots, but I've been over 7 a couple times
according to GPS. And I *still* didn't get a rail in the water last night
(though very close this time, within an inch or so). That boat is stiff! But
unfortunately I ripped my genoa - a three-foot tear in from the leech, parallel
to the foot, about 2/3 of the way up. I don't think it was from over-sheeting
or contact with the spreader; I just had too much sail up for the wind, and my
sails are old and tired.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine