Message: 4
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 11:42:10 -0500
From: "Dennis C." <capt...@gmail.com>

The Volvo race around the world guys also anchored on more than 1
occasion..

See here:
http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/01/20/vor-when-anchoring-becomes-the-winning-move/

Francois Rivard
1990 34+ "Take Five"
Lake Lanier, GA

To: CnClist <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Wednesday Night racing - anchoring during race

Absolutely possible!  Two weeks ago in the Gulfport Pensacola Race we had
~1 knot favorable current.  The wind was only 1-4 knots.  Our speed
through
the water was as low as 1.5 knots.  Had the current been the other way, we
were prepared to anchor and wait for more wind.

In years past, boats have anchored between Ship Island and Cat Island, MS
about 10 miles from the race start, during light wind and unfavorable
current.

There is a feeder race for Gulfport Pensacola called Race to the Coast.  I
believe it's the oldest yacht race, first raced on July 4, 1850.  This
race
passes through The Rigolets, the outlet for Lake Pontchartrain.  There can
be 2-3 knots of current in there.  Anchoring is always a possibility.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Bill Coleman via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> That sounds like you could possibly win a race by anchoring

greatly appreciated!