Take the Safety at Sea course.  It is invaluable and makes you much more
attractive as a crew member.

Have the proper gear - foulies, boots, gloves, inflatable PFD with harness
and tether, headlight, water bottle, coffee mug

Do some overnight cruising, even if a cruise to nowhere.  Get used to a 3
hour watch in the middle of the night.  Steer by compass or instrument with
no reference point other than a star or two.

Try to do some deliveries.  Racers often need return crew, so get on crew
boards for distance races.

Sail in conditions you would avoid.  You don't get to choose your weather
on day 4 or 14 of an ocean voyage.  Get comfortable with 30 knot winds and
8 foot seas.  Remember, forces go up exponentially as wind doubles.

Joel

--
Joel
301 541 8551