I've been doing a bit of work transferring way points.  From many years of
transiting the Northern Gulf Coast, I've collected an extensive inventory
of "observed" way points.  Fellow sailors have requested some or all of my
collection of way points and routes.

Years ago, the Admiral and I manually captured the way points from the old
Garmin 128 text only GPS into an Excel file.  Wanted a quick way to be able
to move them to newer GPS units as friends, etc. ask for them.  One of the
popular transfer formats is a .gpx file.  I found this site:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Extremely easy to upload and convert a .xls file into a .gpx file.  Matter
of a second or two.

Not sure if it was necessary but my .xls file had the following column
labels:  "Name", "Latitude", "Longitude", "Type" (where type was way point,
anchorage, etc.).

One cool feature was, in addition to converting to .gpx, it can show the
way points on a Google Earth embed in the website.  Slick!  Helped me
visualize a particularly tricky route near some shoals.

There are probably other ways/sites but this one is so nice and easy I'm
not looking at others.

I used Garmin's Homeport program to tidy up and create routes.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

greatly appreciated!