I switched all the bulbs in my instrument lights (fuel gauge, etc) to red LEDs
and they go on with the ignition.  They don't affect my night vision and, even
though they are on during the day when the engine is running, they draw
negligible amperage.

Bob

Bob Boyer
s/v Rainy Days
C&C Landfall 38 (Hull # 230)
Annapolis, MD (presently in Baltimore)
blog: dainyrays.blogspot.com
email: dainyr...@icloud.com

> On Jul 31, 2016, at 7:39 PM, Dennis C. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
> I like having the option to control lights in the cockpit.  I installed a
> Blue Sea Systems 3 switch Contura style panel in a bulkhead near the helm
> station.  On that panel is the compass light, the engine compartment blower
> (not really needed since the repower to a diesel) and the fuel gauge.  The
> fuel gauge has a fairly bright light that affects night vision so I usually
> leave the switch off.
>
> Really freaks out guests when they look at the fuel gauge and it shows dead
> empty.  When they say something, I flip the switch to show them there's
> actually fuel in the tank.  :)
>
> The GPS has its own power/NMEA cable run from below as does the Nexus
> Multicontrol display.
>
> Dennis C.
> Touche' 35-1 #83
> Mandeville, LA
>
>> On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Syerdave--- via CnC-List
>> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>> Wrapping up Windstar's electrical work and I notice one, final, hokey,
>> length of wire-with-hidden-glass-fuse - the binnacle light.   This was wired
>> to the 12v hot wire on the starter, back to a big clunky pull switch
>> awkwardly mounted at the engine control panel, and thence to the pedestal.
>> My first inclination is to connect this directly into the running light
>> circuit.  The only reason I can think of not to do this is the very, very
>> remote (in my case, academic) possibility of wanting to take compass
>> bearings at night at anchor.  (I could connect to both anchor light and
>> running light via diodes, but...  Really....)  Splitting hairs maybe, but I
>> welcome any thoughts on this beautiful summer Sunday.
>> FYI - I had a minor wiring epiphany and posted.
>> http://cncwindstar.blogspot.ca/
>>
>> Dave

>> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
>> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
>> are greatly appreciated!

> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!