From: "Michael Brown via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "cnc-list" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: "Michael Brown" <m...@tkg.ca>
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2016 9:47:34 AM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Assymetrical spinnaker pole

If the desired effect is to have both the main and genoa projecting maximum
area
going dead down wind them both sails need to be set at right angles to the
wind,
which is about the same as right angle to the centerline of the boat.

Assuming a 155% LP and the foot at right angle to the boat the whisker pole
would
be > 184.5% of J. The ">" part is because the foot is larger than 155% of J.

On my C&C 30-1 with a 13.5' J that comes out to slightly under 26'. I have
found allowing
a slight curve to the foot is OK, and having the angle a bit under 90 degrees
is acceptable
leaving a 24' whisker pole.

I carry a 22' Forespar Line Control whisker pole, legal under PHRF Lake
Ontario. In very
light air I use all 22' of it.

In heavier air on a reach I may use it to control sail shape, holds the clew at
the proper
spot and controls how much is being spilled off. The line control pole is
adjustable so
I can find a spot to raise the spinnaker car to that provides the combination
of downward
angle and distance needed.

Michael Brown
Windburn