I am using a 45lb CQR with 125 ft of chain and 200 ft rode. Mever have drug
even with 3-4 boats rafted. I know over kill, but I like to sleep at night. It
sets in any type bottom I have encountered. Did I mention I also have a
windlass for the heavy work. For a lunch hook I let out less scope.
    Doug MountjoysvPegasusLF38 #4just west of Ballard, WA.

------ Original message------From: Syerdave--- via CnC-List Date: Sat, Aug 27,
2016 17:08To: C&c Stus List;Cc: syerd...@gmail.com;Subject:Stus-List Anchor
test - recommended lunch hook/kedge?
Interesting few hours today doing an anchor test.   A young guy at  port Whitby
marina was looking for an anchor for his tanzer 26, to replace the really tiny
and cheap ski-boat danforth type that came with his boat (and had proved
impossible to set).  We had discussed over beverages a few times.   I thought
to try my (never tried) fortress fx-7 lunch hook - 120' rode, 10' chain.   We
dragged it all over the bay at 8:1 or better scope.  Could feel it bumping
along a hard bottom.    It finally hooked up and was kinda sideways.   Now the
bottom is, I think, a rock shelf under silt and clay, but I don't really know.
We parked his boat and returned with Windstar (my 33 mkii) and her 10kg Bruce
with 50' heavy chain.  (Plus 150' rode) Let out the chain only, dragged 20' and
set hard.  You could feel and hear it bumping over a very hard bottom before it
did so.   Should have tried in 2 or 3 locations to prove it was not a fluke.
(So to speak)  He now wants a load of chain and a 10kg anchor for his 4000lb
boat!  Lol....Anyway, the fortress isn't going to work for me.  What do folks
use and trust as a lunch hook/kedge?  As always, thanks.
the generous donations of our members. If you like what we do, please help us
pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!