Thanks all for the input.  Back at home off my singlehanded mini-cruise,
and am pleased to say that the mixing elbow is not an immediate problem,
and that it and the heat exchanger can be dealt with over the winter.   The
water pump belt was slipping, but for only a few minutes on startup, with
revs and maybe some built-up heat it would work fine.  It worked fine all
season, then began to misbehave.  I had set the tension loose and figured
it was OK, since it worked.

Learned something useful - that you can hear when your cooling system
fails.

Also, in investigating this, I noticed two issues in the related bits and
pieces that I felt were worth writing up.  -
1)  a corroded screw that could cause a cooling system failure
2)  Stupidly located 33-2 system components that create maintenance and
possibly operational problems.   (easily relocated in 10 minutes at no
cost, but hadn't occurred to me before to do it)
Post and phots here:

http://cncwindstar.blogspot.ca/

Dave - Windstar - 33-2

greatly appreciated!