Robert

I believe you do require a bow light, but only after sunset while
moving, many her call it a steaming light.  The bow light is supposed
to be on while moving at night (probably any time after sunset) while
the foredeck light is more for convenience and not actually required.
Some boats have spreader lights which serve the essentially the same
purpose as the foredeck light but usually with a few more lumens on
deck than a foredeck light like yours.  It was quite common with C&C
sailboats to combine the bow light and foredeck lights in one fixture
mounted about one third the way up on the forward side of the mast,
each light operated with a different switch...that is what I have on
Alianna and I believe mine to be original from factory build, the bow
light (steaming light) shines forward while the foredeck light
component shines downward on the deck. The masthead light as C&C
called it on Alianna's factory original switch is at the top of the
mast and shines 360 degrees...it is supposed to on while at anchor all
night long and some call it the anchor light but C&C called it the
masthead light on my original switch panel.  It should be a very
bright light (like visible from a long way off), nowadays many sailors
use very bright LED masthead (anchor) light to conserve power since it
is supposed to be on all night long while at anchor.  Your running
lights on the bow (green to starboard and red to port) and white stern
light are required and should be turned on after sunset while moving
under sail or steam. Your boat is younger than mine.  Are you certain
that the fixture needs to be replaced, check it out because you may be
more pleased with repairing the old fixture than trying to find and
mount a new one.
Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, Alianna
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS
d.ve...@bellaliant.net

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 9:49 AM, robert via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
> When up the mast the other day, I noticed that my 'Steaming, Bow, Foredeck
> Light' was in pretty bad shape.....probably the original 32 years old.  Will
> probably replace it when the mast is hauled later this Fall although I
> understand this light is no longer legally required.......but I do like the
> halogen foredeck light.
>
> I found this one linked below at the Binnacle.......almost similar to the
> existing one:
>
> Lights-Steaming-Spreader-&-Deck-Lights/c23_156/p1349/AAA-MASTHEAD-/-DECK-LIGHT/product_info.html
>
> It appears, without removing mine, that there are three (3) white wires
> exiting the foot of the mast connecting to 'green, red and black' ......I
> assume the green is negative, red is positive and black in ground.
>
> Here's the question......the new light fixture at the Binnacle only has one
> white wire as a connection.......there is (are) no other places on the back
> of the fixture to connect other wires.  So if my old fixture has 3
> connections (assuming it does but I have not removed it to be sure) and this
> new fixture only has one 'white wire', how do you connect it?
>
> As you can tell, I am no electrician.
>
> Rob Abbott
> AZURA
> C&C 32 - 84
> Halifax, N.S.

> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!