To be clear,  my cheeky post was my own announcement, not Raymarine's who
probably feel they are still in the autopilot/instrument business.   Randy,
I'm more or less where you are on this, and I am realizing that the casual,
recreational boating space is no different than many others, where apps,
and fast-moving technology on portable technologies are clearly the
future.  (not talking about a vendee globe racer or coastguard ship)

I suppose to many its obvious, but what had not fully dawned on me when I
bought this Raystuff was that today, unlike in the past, we are buying
software as much as hardware when we buy an autopilot, display, or anything
else.    Your example nails it - the software does the job, the transducer
just provides the bits and bites, and has to be good enough not to break.
This frames the firmware (which should really be called an app most of the
time) update discussion very differently, and makes you think a bit
differently about the trajectory of the technology, and about Raymarine's
customer-bruising approach.

I agree with you on the future of this stuff.  Its interesting and it's
happening quickly.

More on my electronics here - stumbles, learnings, mistakes included.
http://cncwindstar.blogspot.ca/
<end rant>
Dave  33-2

Message: 6