Hi Alan,

I waited four months for my SailTimer Wind Instrument (ordered it mid-April,
received it mid-August, installed it mid-September).

Is it worth it? I think so. Before I had it, the only way I could get wind data
was from my hand-held wind meter in real time ( http://www.weatherhawk.com/sm18
) which indicates lower-than-actual speed and can't tell me wind angle, or from
http://wx.iwindsurf.com/map#39.548,-105.08,14,1,!11170,1 after the fact.

The SailTimer Wind Instrument only cost me $350 - about $100 less than the most
basic Raymarine i40 wind system with cockpit display and masthead transducer -
and when combined with the SailTimer App it has a *lot* more functionality, and
there are no wires to run or displays to mount.

It's nice enough to just finally have wind speed and angle data in the cockpit.
But the features of the app that really interest me are:
* the graph of true wind speed, apparent wind speed, and boat speed over time -
see http://www.sailtimerapp.com/NewFeatures.html ,
* the polar learning capability (see
http://www.sailtimerapp.com/NewFeatures.html again), and
* the optimal tacking route functionality - see
http://www.sailtimerapp.com/HowToUse.html

Installation and setup of the system was straightforward. I did go up the mast
to mount the instrument with screws and nuts through holes I drilled in the
masthead cap flange. And you have to install a couple apps on your iOS device
and register with the SailTimerMaps website. But then it just works.

I have noticed that the app sucks down the battery on my iPhone pretty fast - a
full charge won't last a whole day. But some PO installed a cigarette lighter
on my boat, so I now use an iPhone car charger when I'm running the app while
sailing.

I've only used it in anger for one weekend now, and I'm still learning the app.
I can post speed graphs and polar tables etc. after another week or two.

Best Regards,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine
C&C 30-1 #7