I, too, have a 3gmf.  When I had transmission problems (transmission not
fully engaging, and I had to go  to reverse and then forward) I had to add
a shim inside the transmission.  That corrected the transmission problem of
not engaging properly, which was caused by the "in and out" play.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR

Hi all,
When the dive service cleaned my hull last week, the diver informed me of
some in-out play in the shaft. I have a 35-3 with the 3gmf and a dripless
seal.
My question is what are the common causes for this and is some play normal
or am I facing a potentially catastrophic problem.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Kris O'Brien
S/V Syzygy