Let me add to Dennis’ apt observations: if you choose the spray-painting route
you will need all the supporting equipment to make it happen, i.e., a very
large compressor to run that pneumatic board-file and more importantly, to get
the correct airflow pressure and rate at the spray gun.

These are issues that I am dealing with at the moment. The compressor that I am
using doesn’t “quite” have the ability to constantly supply 90 psi at the gun.
This has not been a problem when shooting the primer but I expect that it will
be when I go to shoot the top-coat. I’m mulling this one over right now; do I
try to get by because I’m shooting very little area that is gloss or do I rent
a larger compressor? One option I have is to gang another 30-gallon tank to the
existing one. We’ll see.

If you go ahead and paint your hull you will find the axiom that preparation is
90% of the job to be accurate. I would completely remove any prior paint. The
spraying part is not the ‘hardest’ part. And keep in mind as I did, if you use
Awlcraft 2000 or something similar, you can always come back and fix the
mistakes.

A new paint job on the hull is always nifty.

Best,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
Reedville - Chesapeake Bay