We've cruised with an iPad .. well, on all our cruises. Two to three weeks
each time. We stow it when the weather is bad but we don't really do much
sailing when the weather is bad, we have that choice being lake sailors.

I also own a helm mounted chartplotter that we got at the start of this
year. I use both. But the iPad is better in a lot of ways to be honest.

I like my Asus built "Google Nexus". It has built in GPS and it's 7". Like
Marek says, it's a nice size for handling and they are not expensive. The
only reason we use the iPad instead of it is because I cracked the screen
(boat related actually, but much more to do with my carelessness than
marine conditions). I think a Surface is overkill for your application. Use
the voice recognition for writing emails, forget about keyboards :)

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32
Toronto