Anyone ever hoisted a mount up attached to the spinnaker pole track???
Coquina

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Frederick G
Street via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 09:26
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Frederick G Street <f...@postaudio.net>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Radar mount

Mike - for something removable and rarely used, you may want to consider
self-fabricating a stern pole.  It’s a bit of work, but I’d suggest the type
that drops into a fiberglass tube glassed in and supported with gussets below
the stern deck.  If you design and install it well, you can get away with
minimal lateral support above the deck, and you could arrange things so that
you just pull the tube, disconnect the radar and cap the hole when you’re not
using it.  The tube below-deck tube should extend as far down into the hull as
you can get it, to provide support for the stern pole.

Here’s a guy who did a similar job on his Tartan:
http://www.oceannavigator.com/January-February-2003/Installing-a-radar-set-on-an-older-vessel/

You wouldn’t need to use Edson (or ScanStrut, or…) hardware for the pole
itself; get aluminum tubing of the correct diameter to mate with your top plate
of choice, and have it powder-coated.  That’ll save some $$$.

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis

On Oct 31, 2016, at 1:40 PM, Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List

A question to this list about mounting a radar

I recently stumbled into a situation where a 5 year old Garmin radome that was
the exact correct model for our Garmin GPSMAP 740 chartplotter became available
for just under $500.  Given this great price and our recent night trip up the
coast in heavy fog we decided we should snatch this up.

We like to be able to do a bit of cruising on our boat but we also like to do
some racing.  As with all the other cruisy stuff (dodger, bimini, etc) I like
the option of being able to install it only for a cruise and leave it home the
rest of the time.  I do not wish to have the radome mounted on the mast for
this reason (and the wear and other issues on the jib).  Was thinking of either
a backstay mounted solution or a removable radar pole at the stern.  Something
like the Scanstrut SC100 series.  The issue I have found is that the backstay
mount and removable pole mounts are extremely expensive and we are not even
certain how much we will use this.

Any advice from others on this list or knowledge of a used pole or perhaps info
on how to manufacture my own?

Thanks

Mike
Persistence