I would not recommend welding. There is a lot of force on the boom at the
boom bang attachment point so my recommendation is to get a replacement.
Mine broke during a race because of a small crack I had not seen.
Interestingly my rigger suggested the boom section (the original boom) was
not strong enough for the forces so I have a really good boom now.  Mind
you summer racing is always in strong winds!

Fair winds
Ian Matthew
C&C 29-1. "Siento el Viento"
San Francisco Bay