The "right" way to splice it is with 2 male PL259 connections on both cut
ends and then a double female to connect them together.

In reality the center conductor carries the signal and the outer is the
shield.  The signal from the antenna really isn't a high frequency signal
requiring a shielded connection with high signal to noise ratio.  I agree
with your bayou brethren, just split out the center conductor and shield.
Solder independently and heat shrink.  It will probably work though it may
not get a gps fix as quick and the signal may not be as strong... Oh well.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD