My opinion is not very qualified - I haven't yet figured out how to use my
staysails very effectively. Next year I'll try to follow this article's
prescriptions for staysails more closely:
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/racelist/racelist.htm .

Grenadine came with two staysails: one which hoists to the masthead (called a
"tallboy" in the above article I believe), and one which hoists only to the
pole lift sheave. The tallboy is made of drifter material; the shorter one of
heavier material. Grenadine has two headsail halyards in addition to a
spinnaker halyard, so I use one of the headsail halyards to hoist the tallboy.

My pole lift halyard is rope spliced to cable, and when hoisting the pole lift
staysail with it, the rope part of the halyard comes all the way out of the
mast. If I want to cleat it on the horn cleat on the dorade box, I'm tying the
cleat hitch with the cable part. I'll have to figure out a better solution.

In theory I could fly a triple-headed rig, and the above article mentions that.
But I've never tried that. I've only flown my staysails one at a time.

Tacking is a PITA because some member of the crew usually has to walk the genoa
clew around the staysail's luff. With a triple-headed rig I'm sure it would be
even messier.

I flew staysails in light air a few times, looking for more power. To me it
seemed they were interfering with the genoa's shape and maybe not providing
much benefit. But I was noticing that mainly upwind, whereas the above article
says to use them on reaches, and I may have had them under-trimmed for the
light air I was in, per the above article.

The good news is, according to a senior US Sailing judge in my region, I can
fly them legally under my current PHRF rating, because my RSA's PHRF rules are
basically mute on the specific point. So if I can learn how to fly them
effectively I think it could be a good advantage.

In general I think I would only want to use them in lighter air. I don't have a
speed problem when the wind is up :)

Cheers,
Randy