I recall reading about chain splicing/welding by  cutting an “X” pattern in the
sides of the two joining links allowing the links to fit together.  Then the
“X” openings of links are tig  or mig welded closed (I even think they use
stainless tig wire).   The result is claimed to a smooth connecting stronger
than using a splice/repair link.   My guess is that the splice is weaker than
the original, but likely inline with how some have a larger link added to a
chain to facilitate anchor shackling.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall