They may be nice for backup, but they really are not nearly as reliable as a well designed dedicated marine plotter, compass and AIS. Wifi wouldn't matter to a compass app, or a charting app, but I'm thinking the fool was relying on a land based AIS app to spot ships. I've heard people in forums recommend using one of these apps, but they have no idea that it is not nearly the same thing as directly received AIS information. The land based apps tend to have delayed information, or intermittent information, as well as often not reporting all ships in the area. Wrong or incomplete information is not necessarily better than no information. It may lead you directly into trouble.

https://www.cnet.com/news/boat-captain-uses-ipad-as-compass-crashes-uk/#ftag=CAD590a51e

Bill Bina