I, too believe that is why losing his wifi connection would have mattered. However, using AIS apps on a tablet or phone means you are using land based AIS information, which is usually delayed by 20 minutes or so, and does not show all vessels with AIS transmitters. Land based AIS data is gathered by volunteers and stations frequently go offline. It is not a substitute for a real AIS receiver onboard getting direct AIS information from nearby vessels directly.

Bill Bina