C&C 30-1

From: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>

Check out a water witch switch.

I had automatic Rule that "sensed" the presence of water every 2.5
minutes.  It was so inconsistent about turning off that I ga e up and used
it like a manual pump.

The I think it was OEM but may have been the PO that wired the manual
switch and a float switch in parallel.  I can start the pump and pump it
pretty close to dry when I'm there to do it.  The rest of the time the
float lifts up and starts the pump. I have a water witch switch that I've
been meaning to install as well as a whale diaphragm pump.

My discharge is very near to the water under the reversed transom.  I like
the concealed nature of the location but it necessitates a high point loop
so that there is no chance of submerging the discharge and then siphoning
back into the bilge.  Since there is a high point of discharge tubing,
every time the pump shuts off, the tubing drains back and partially refills
the bilge.  I installed a check valve but the centrifugal pumps still rely
on having about 1/2 of water so no matter what my bilge is never dry.  When
my rule pump died I was in a pinch and it was late at night.  Walmart was
the only option so I got a normal starting (not automatic), attwood, I
think it is the 800gph but it might be the 1200gph.  It has lasted 4
seasons now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tsunami-800-GPH-Cartridge-Bilge-Pump-12VDC/11071214

The whale pump is a positive displacement diaphragm pump which is capable
of self priming and can provide lift of up to 10 feet.  In short it can
nearly suck the bilge dry.  I've had it in mind to install it such that
after the centrifugal pump turns off to have the whale start and finish the
job.  The whale pump has at least 2 built in check valves, so the risk of
drain back is pretty much eliminated AND it will pump air so it is
effectively blowing down the lines dry.  The only drawback is that it is
pretty small on the capacity scale - 300 gph.

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10008&Product_ID=10014&FriendlyID=Gulper-320

https://waterwitchinc.com/bilge-switches/

I also have provisions to use the shower dewatering pump and/or the engine
raw water pump to suck out the bilge as well as the manual pump.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD