From: "Matthew L. Wolford via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: 3/25/17  10:08  (GMT-05:00)
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: "Matthew L. Wolford" <wolf...@erie.net>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Mast Step Pitch & Helm Balance

I had a similar question about rake before making a Spartite plug for the
partners.  Unless you talk to Rob Ball or someone involved with
design/construction, it would be difficult to figure out what C&C’s
intentions were (assuming that’s what you want).  I’m guessing that you’ve
already given the matter more consideration than the construction crew.

In my case, I eye-balled other comparable vintage C&Cs to see generally
if there was much rake.  There appeared to be a little, but not much.
I then talked to a local sailmaker, and together we looked at C&C’s original
drawing for my boat to see if it showed any rake, which it did (again not
much).  From this, we concluded that the drawing likely reflected what
C&C intended.  Using the drawing, I calculated the amount of rake and,
because in my case the mast was standing, I adjusted it to the amount of rake
shown in the drawing (using a bucket of water hung from a halyard).  Seems
to have worked – the helm feels about right to me.

Based on my experience, I’d find an old drawing and assume it’s more or
less what C&C intended.

Good luck.