Some work better than others, but to be sure, many of them work well enough to be more than worth having. The very simple and relatively inexpensive Davis works. That is a scientific fact, and not some magazine writer's opinion. Nothing is a guarantee, but look closely at modern navaids and you will see that they have a structure on top that looks somewhat like the design of the Davis. NOAA apparently thinks they are worth having. This is on steel navaids which RADAR can see pretty well anyway, but the additional reflector on top makes their return look bigger and stronger to RADAR. The fact that as the boat sways and bobs the reflector may be more and less effective momentarily does not take away from the fact that you are seen at all. Sailboats are weak targets, and any enhancement is worth having, no matter how imperfect.

Bill Bina