From: Rick Brass via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: 4/8/17 20:58 (GMT-08:00)
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Rick Brass <rickbr...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Stus-List Advise on cutting fiberglass

As background, I installed an opening port on Imzadi to replace a fixed
aluminum framed portlight, and it didn’t go to my expectations. I had to expand
the existing opening by a small margin, and decided that I could use my handy
dandy Dremel tool to cut the fiberglass laminate. But the cut I got was far
from smooth and straight. So I decided I’d put off installing the other three
ports until I figured out a better way of doing it.

I have three current projects that will require me to cut laminate: additional
opening ports, removing the inner skin on the cockpit locker covers so I can
replace rotted core, and making a propane locker. So my question is: What would
be the best tool for getting smooth straight cuts in fiberglass laminate?

A friend in the boat repair business will loan me his Rotozip, but I’m not
confident that I would get better cuts that I did on the window opening
(operator error, I freely admit).

Dremel (among others) makes a mini circular saw that looks almost ideal for
making shallow, straight cuts. But corners might be a problem.

A vibrating multi-tool (I still think of it as a Fein tool) seems like a real
possibility, plus having a lot of uses on other projects. But I’m not sure how
well it will cut fiberglass.

You guys are the experts. What tool should I buy (or borrow)?

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1

Washington, NC