Hi- I am installing a new Raymarine e95 chart plotter and am confused by the
instructions with respect to grounding.  The cable includes both a Negative
(black) wire and a black Ground (drain) wire.  Here is what the install manual
says:
Grounding — Dedicated drain wire

The power cable supplied with this product includes a dedicated shield (drain)
wire for connection to a vessel's RF ground point.

It is important that an effective RF ground is connected to the system. A
single ground point should be used for all equipment. The unit can be grounded
by connecting the shield (drain) wire of the power cable to the vessel's RF
ground point. On vessels without an RF ground system the shield (drain) wire
should be connected directly to the negative battery terminal.

The dc power system should be either:

Negative grounded, with the negative battery terminal connected to the vessel's
ground.
Floating, with neither battery terminal connected to the vessel's ground

I have never heard of a RF ground point or a drain wire or a floating ground. I
can’t find anything about this in Nigel Calder’s book.  Can someone clarify
what this is about and how to wire it?  Thanks- Dave

Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT