From: "Ron Ricci via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "cnc-list" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: "Ron Ricci" <ron.ri...@1968.usna.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:50:21 AM
Subject: Stus-List C&C 37+ Keel Bolt Torqueing & Rust Stains

A few months ago, there was a discussion of rust stains and weeps of water
appearing on the keel. My first thought had been that water from the bilge
leaked around the keel bolts when the boat is on the hard. I had the boatyard
do some exploration. They found a void in the keel that apparently filled with
water. The void appeared threaded and may have been used to lift the keel. This
all can be seen at: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhpB-lul9d5YpQkMDs5DeOkS73p2 .
Continued inspection found that there was no water leaking down from the bilge.

While my boat is out of the water with the mast out, I’m going to torque the
keel bolts. The C&C website lists torque values for ½” (80 ft-lbs), ¾” (250
ft-lbs) and 1” (350 ft-lbs). The 37+ may have another larger size bolt. I don’t
know where these came from but found something similar attributed to an
employee of Mars Metal (keel manufacturer?). Can any other owners confirm a few
things?

1. What are the torque values that you’ve used?

2. Did you back off the nuts and lubricate?

3. If so, what did you use for lubrication?

Regards,

Ron

Ron Ricci

S/V Patriot