We bought LA Neige with the knowledge there was significant water intrusion
in the rudder. Last winter upon haul out we drilled holes to drain it. What
came out was a brownish, sandy material.
My fear was that the support structure was compromised by rust (previous
owner was at a saltwater marina for 10 years).
I called several places for prices and recommendations. The estimates were
from 4000 to 6000. The repairs ranged from a complete rebuild by Foss foam
to a complete cut open , dig out old foam, replace foam, reglass.
I decided on my local yard, Havre de Grace Marina.
They went the repair route. They cut it open on the starboard side. Dug out
all the old foam.  Inspected the stainless structure, which was in perfect
shape.
They refoamed  with a foam impervious to water. They rebonded the skin to
the foam, then reglass ed, interluxed and bottom painted.
All in all it looks great. They also cut a chamfer around the shaft to fix
the intrusion and reglass ed and sealed it.
Final price was WELL below the other quotes. They also repaired  the
bushing at the rudder shafts entry to the hull.
The result can be seen on our FB page
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1615536788509259&id=1011224262273851
I am very pleased with the final product. It remains to be seen if it holds
up.

Brian Fry
La Neige
C&C 37 40 xl