Hi Matthew,

I had a similar problem this spring - had to pull my prop, a fixed two-blade,
to replace it with a new Gori folding prop. I think the old prop had been on
there about 22 years.

I got it off with a 6" two-jaw puller from Harbor Freight. First I tried with a
three-jaw 8" puller but it didn't fit well enough around the blades to stay on,
so I had to drop back to a two-jaw. The 6" one came in a set of three (with two
smaller ones) for $28. After pulling the prop off, I simply returned the entire
set for a refund :) I would have kept the 8" three-jaw one if it had worked; it
was only $18 and seemed like a useful thing to have around. Since you're just
dealing with a hub, folding blades removed, I'd suggest a three-jaw puller.

One thing: go to a hardware store and get a long spacer nut to screw on to the
end of your prop shaft, so that the puller screw is pushing on the end of the
spacer nut, not the end of your prop shaft. The more threads of spacer nut you
can get on the shaft, the better IMO. When I pulled my prop this spring, the
puller screw was bearing on the end of the prop shaft some, and it bent the tip
of the prop shaft off-center a few degrees. Scared the crap out of me; I
thought I was in for a prop shaft replacement job. But I was able to get the
Gori on there and I think the Gori hub and nut may have straightened the shaft
tip back out a bit, the way they install. I've motored about a half-dozen times
now and can't discern any vibration or anything - the new prop works great in
forward and reverse and under sail. So just be careful about that.

Before putting a puller on it, I tried some other things like heat, and running
melted candle wax into the keyhole.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine