I don’t even own a 39 and I started it ☺
Joe
Coquina

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Andrew
Burton via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:51 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Andrew Burton <a.burton.sai...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List The beauty of theC&C 39

The discussions here on the beauty of the C&C 39 might be taken as the self
congratulatory preening of smug owners were not the facts on their side. While
I'm particularly partial to the 40, I agree that the 39 is floating art. I
sailed on a 39 called Pachena in the 70s and fell in love with the boat right
then and there.

While looking for a cruising boat, I lusted after a 39, but the layout didn't
suit my wife and I. But I did have a couple of chats with Bob Perry about the
39. If you think the 39 owners on the list are smitten with their boats, you
should hear what one of the best yacht designers in the world has to say about
them and the way they look. It's like listening to an expert talk about his
favorite wine!
Congrats to all who are lucky enough to own one of these gems! And to all the
rest of us, too. It's remarkable how lovely our boats are compared to the
competition, whether contemporary or modern. When I was a lad, the Catalina 27
was a direct competitor to the C&C 27 (like my dad owned), but there was no
comparison in looks or quality. Nowadays, when I sail Peregrine home to Newport
from Cutty Hunk, I am generally close hauled with the sheets eased just a bit
and laying my mark with no problem as I watch modern slide to leeward and
eventually give up and turn on the engine to motor the rest of the way. And
they look ugly while they do it!
Happy sailing
Andy
C&C 40