Yep rtl-sdr.  It's actually not attached to the system in the video.  TBH
it was low on the priorities list.  When I originally got the pieces parts
I plugged the rtl-sdr in and made sure it was "working" but when it needed
a purpose built antenna and adapters and tuning - it suddenly became a back
burner project.  It also started mingling with antenna theory and proximity
to the vhf and wifi antennas.

Its a good reminder though since now that I'm up and running it is easy to
just plug it in and play with it.  As I recall 2 miles was a basic distance
with the stock mini-anntena.  Evidently this was dissatisfying to AIS
affecionatos but seems good enough for me.  Also the AIS guys were quite
passionate about having a class A vs B?  One only sends your info and one
sends and receives.  I've also heard about government regulations in the
works which would require the use of AIS on vessels which were
equipped...similar to the requirement to use radar and VHF if so equipped.
I'm kinda a private sorta guy and while I don't mind passive systems which
only receive, I do mind constantly transmitting my boat's name, location,
and other details.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+