Engine fired up today!  Some costs and lessons;

Rebuilt head. $130 (still blown away at how cheap that was)
Rebuilt starter $200
Rebuilt alternator $300
Assorted gaskets etc $150
Rebuilt injectors $300

Injectors were a mess.  In retrospect it caused my crappy idle and high fuel
consumption.

Didn't take enough good pictures from enough angles.

Engine manual invaluable.

A clean engine bay is very soothing.

Bleed screw on injection pump is very important and was, until now, an unknown
bleed point.

I now own a 2 foot socket extension without which the starter would have
remained immovable.

Learned much and I should be engine happy for many years.

1981 C & C 40
Yanmar 3QM30

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone