Sorry for my ignorance but is it safe to assume that your westerbeke is a
diesel?

My diesel "burns" and leaks.  Its not burning around the cylinder rings but
rather getting into the valve cover and then being drawn through the
breather and into the intake.  A couple of years ago I installed a drop out
tank to catch the oil instead of burning it.  I also leak a considerable
amount of oil from my hp injector around the shims.  I can't really
"replace the gasket" since the shims are responsible for the timing of the
engine.

Maybe somebody has some suggestions but I just live with the leaks and keep
a bottle of oil available.  If I had to motor 24 hours I think I would
probably be down more than half way on the dip stick.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD