A guy behind me at the marina was thrilled four years ago when he bought a C&C
27 with a working A4 for 1K.

He had big plans. Marinize a small Yanmar diesel he already owned, do a few
other projects and have a beautiful, updated sailboat for under 5K.

Four years later, the boat has not moved from its dock, unless you count the
time it sank after a heavy Florida rainstorm. Same A4, lots of deterioration.
The boat is worth $0, maybe less than that.

He tried some projects, found the going rough and apparently gave up.

My rough calculation is that he has spent 14k in dock fees, another couple of
grand for mandatory insurance and who knows what to have the boat raised.

He could have waited a couple of years and bought a nice, updated sailboat for
way less than that. Neglected sailboats are not a good deal. They are difficult
and expensive to bring back to life.

Jack Brennan
Former C&C 25
Tierra Verde, Fl.