I would not try to sail with the board hanging down supported only by the pin.
The trunk usually provides resistance to athwart ship forces on the board when
down in its normal position. If the cable is gone, the board hangs too far down
and all the sideways force is concentrated on the pin which is not designed for
it. Motoring would be OK but sailing with an unsupported (sideways) board could
turn an inconvenience into a disaster, including loss of board and pin!
Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
C&C 36 XL/kcb

Sent from my iPhone