Bruce,

Yes, plastic welding is the way to go, don’t waist your time with sealant or
adhesive repairs.    I repaired the water tanks in my Landfall 38 by plastic
welding.  I never plastic welded before this and the tanks are still holding
fine.   Use a hot air welder, which Harbor Freight also sells.  I would be
reluctant to use cheaper hot iron welder as welding requires softening the base
plastic and the plastic welding rod.    I purchased LDPE plastic welding rods
from Granger.  My tank had a long cracked corner which I welded and then
reinforced with some 316SS mesh (also from Grainger).

I have some details on my blog:

http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/search/label/WaterTankRepair
<http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/search/label/WaterTankRepair>

-