I learned to sail on dinghies more years ago than I care to admit. I still
sail dinghies, though my preference is now to roomy boats like the 420; not
too motivated to sail a Laser these days. Dinghies (1) are fun, (2) keep my
basic sailing skills alive, and (3) keep me humble. No matter how many big
boats I skipper now, a dinghy can still get me in the water pretty quickly.

Dinghy sailors make the best helmsmen for yachts. Yeah, it may be a
40-footer or a 60-footer or whatever, and the seas can build big offshore,
but that primal feel of how a boat moves on the water driven by the wind
still works. I developed that feel on little tipsy things on the Charles
River in Boston, and it works in the middle of the Atlantic, too.

I've seen a fair number of big-ego big-boaters who steer a sailing yacht
like a car. That or punch in the auto pilot and never bother to trim the
sails properly to balance the boat. It drives me crazy.

This being said, dinghies may be unrealistic choice, if one starts sailing
late in life or has limited agility for other reasons. Small keelboats
(maybe with an outboard?) could be a good choice in this case. From the C&C
family, I have only sailed a 1970s C&C 43 so far. One of my favorite boats
ever - she sails like a dream! - but she is not a beginner's boat.

In any case, it is never too late to fall in love with sailing! :-)

Violeta